 Dear LEGO / 4268
Re: All your typo are belong to us?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.fun, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 7 May 2003 04:51:51 GMT

In lugnet.fun, Michael Bosch writes:
In lugnet.fun, Suzanne D. Rich writes:
While visiting lego.com, I sometimes see incorrect words mixed in, here
and there. I think it's kinda cute. But yesterday, I noticed -three-
typos in one product's description alone.

Now I'm beginning to wonder how this happens. Is TLC using OCR to get
catalog text online? is it translation software? a sloppy typist? ...OR,
are they intentionally inserting subliminal messages?! Whatever the case
may be, the third one made me chuckle.

I have noticed this more and more in every branch of media: catalogues,
magazines, novels, etc.  I think it's due to the reliance on computer
spell-checking instead of honest-to-goodness proof-reading.  The biggest
errors I've seen involve using homonyms, so maybe it's just the poor
education system in the US.

The current tome I'm reading has about 10 typos, deles, inserts, etc, and
I'm only 300 pages into it.  Compare this to books bought 10-15 years ago
when computers weren't as prevailent.  There you know a mistake is the
type-setter's, not the "writer's."

Mike

PS: Disregard any typos or stuff in this message:)

When I was the editor of my college paper, I put in the quotation under the
index key--
"Spelling slips and grammatical gaffs are purposely placed for the
perfectionists to point out."

I tried my derndest to get ridda all speeling misteaks, but I'd invariably
get an e-mail from the english department after every single issue listing
the 'found' errors.

Dave K