 Dear LEGO / 4049
Re: An alternative? (WAS: Technic's only in a coma (WAS Technic's Dead ))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.dacta, lugnet.lego.dacta
Date:
Wed, 7 Aug 2002 21:20:56 GMT

Not a myth here in Canada.  Unless you know something we don't?  I ended up
ordering (by phone, which I loathe) from a company called 'Spectrum'.  It
was a very Mickey Mouse process.  I won't do it again.

A myth indeed! I too have ordered from Spectrum and received prompt
and courteous service. I got what I wanted within days of ordering it.
They were quite helpful (and patient) in locating part numbers, even
though I was reading from a Pitsco catalog. I was able to amend my
order the following day without any problems. The only stumble came in
ordering a Spectrum catalog - they had run out of the 2001 catalog and
were waiting for the 2002 catalog in March - by May I hadn't received
it, but one e-mail corrected that problem.

If you had a bad experience, you might want to try again.

For what it's worth, I was buying a combination of Technic elements
for personal use (conveyor and chain links) and some educational
supplies (simple machines something-or-other - I can't remember what
they were called exactly). I was very clear that this was for personal
use and that I was not a teacher and they had no broblems with that.

My one and only complaint about Spectrum is the next-to-useless web
site.

On another note:

Either you, or someone else in the thread mentioned the market for
those who want to supplement their children's education with
eductional supplies (and parental effort) for use at home. This is
exactly where I (we) fit in. Frankly, I would jump at the chance to
buy the education supplies (teacher's guides, student cards, software)
in single or two-student versions rather than the 15 student (or
whatever) class kits that they sell. I know you can buy replacement
student card sets (again, I can't remember the correct term) but not
replacement teacher's guides (AFAIK). I'd even be happy just to get
the documents (guides, activity cards, etc) and a parts list so I know
what parts to supply from my own collection. I'm sure I'm not alone in
wanting access to more formal educational supplies but my fear is that
we're a small minority. Looking at the parents that drop their kids
off at my wife's daycare, I don't see a lot of desire to educate
beyond bringing the kids over to let someone else do it. I fear that
may be Dacta's point of view too.

Matthias Jetleb