 Dear LEGO / 3965
3964  |  3966
Subject:
lack of basic bricks in many new sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 16:23:16 GMT

I was thinking about the current perception of "LEGO sets", compared to the
way we AFOLs looked at sets when we were kids.

Many of the new sets have very few 'basic bricks', and some of the sets
(like Bionicle) don't have any basic bricks.

Do we really want todays kids growing up thinking that Bionicle sets
represent what "LEGO" stands for?

My idea, a way to get more kids exposed to 'basic bricks':  Let people send
in UPC codes from sets.  For every 10 UPCs, send them a quantity of basic
bricks.  If they send in codes from small sets, send them a small quantity.
If they send in codes from bigger sets, send them a bigger quantity.  Maybe
limit them to no more than 20 UPCs, to prevent AFOLs from sending in
hundreds (you *know* we would!).  Limit them to sets from the current
product line, again to prevent people (like me!) from digging up 20 UPC
codes from > $100 sets.  Even crazier idea:  Have these basic bricks in some
rare or unique colors - people would love them!

Benefits for LEGO:  Get more kids playing with basic bricks!  Collect more
names for your mailing lists.  Sell more sets to people looking for UPC
codes.  Help kids realize that there is more to "LEGO" than Bionicle masks...

Drawbacks:  Yea, it would cost money.  But you've been losing money and
market share for the last several years.  Isn't it time to try something
drastic?  Get people hooked on your core product - the basis of your entire
"System".

Side note on the Bionicle masks:  I was in a Target store last week, and
found their entire supply of #8569 'Bionicle Masks' had been opened,
obviously by someone looking for particular masks.  It made me angry, that
someone would ruin over twenty sets that way, and it made me angry that they
probably wouldn't recognize a 2x4 brick if they stepped on one...

JohnG, GMLTC
  who still hasn't found a use for any Bionicle parts...