 Dear LEGO / 3942
Re: Poor Service to Toy Shops = No Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sun, 2 Jun 2002 21:59:14 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Jeremy Scott writes:

[lots of snipping today...]

I've had similiar experience myself when it comes
to finding sets I *absolutely* need to have, but
it turns out the idiots back at the shipping plant
cancelled because of no apparent reason...

When I was going to buy myself an Explorien Starship
(oh, I don't know when, maybe about three years ago),
It turned out that the local TRU had just ran out of
stock, so being the inquisitive person I am, decided
to ask when the next shipment would come in.

The clerk told me to wait about two weeks for the new order.

So, after waiting two weeks (in which I could have
possibly found another Explorien Starship, If I was
locky enough), I returned back to TRU, and guess what?
They still had not received their shipment...
(what's going on here?)
The clerk again told me to wait a week, so I figures I
would go and wait yet another week for the ever
elusive set...

Hmm...it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out
what happened next...seems Lego retail cancelled the
order for the Exploriens lot, so in essence, the TRU
lost my business entirely, and Lego group lost out
on another customer.

Since then, I haven't purchased a Lego product from a
TRU, or any other store, partially because of poor selection,
and some really dismal product lines. (where have the
decent space or castle sets been? I haven't seen a
feasible space line since '96! Not counting star wars...)
(maybe I consider it a personal boycott...)

Anyway, I don't really get why Lego is acting so
arrogant with their product lines, refusing shipments
and such. Isn't the whole purpose of business to
Make Money? Now, I can relate to why they only sell
to the larger chains, but isn't it important to sell to
smaller retail chains as well, such as the local hobby
shop, and such?

Seriously, I haven't seen a train model, a decent town
line, or anything appealing on the local TRU shelves for
quite a while, and going to the hobby shop for and
model is out of the question, so the whole situation
boils down to one point.

Lego should seriously consider reorganizing their retail
infrastructure.

I know it would probably take a tremendous amount of
capital to do so, but If they were to reorganize, perhaps
we would see a reverse in such a trend (although it wouldn't
exactly happen overnight), and perhaps Lego wouldn't have
to grip about losing money. (not to count mounting
lossses in customers)

Trust me on this one, it's not about a loss of interest
in the product, but a loss of convenience to buy it,
a severe lack of stock, and company willingness to
sell the product.

<<_Matt Hein_>>
Lugnet No. 1112