 Dear LEGO / 3939
Re: LEGO software idea
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sun, 2 Jun 2002 05:11:52 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, William R. Ward writes:

LEGO should partner with Avery or some other maker of printable sheets
of stickers to produce a kit that people can use to make
LEGO-compatible stickers.  Imagine an 8x5"x11" sheet of minifig-torso-
shaped stickers!  It would come with a CD-ROM with some software
designed for printing out the stickers.  Since kids won't have enough
minifigs to justify a whole sheet of paper, the system should be
designed around running the same page through the printer several
times, each time printing only a few of the stickers.

The same idea could be expanded to other types of LEGO-compatible
stickers, but I think minifig torsos is the area that is most likely
to be of interest.

--Bill.

You would think that Lego should try to capitalize
on some of the more obvious accessories for their kits
like custom stickers to "enhance the uniquity of the
modelmaking experience", but instead, they stick to
lame, and sometimes ideas with absolutely no feasibility
(IMO), such as the writing system, and of course, other
products with a questionable future.

And yet, as I look for products that would actually make
me want to add to my building experience, the only interesting
product I can think of is the Stephen Spielberg moviemaker kit,
and that too comes at a price range many would skip on the
contrary to other products that may seem more appealing.

Is it simple ignorance of concepts that may seem more
intelligent, or is it their adamant stance to keep
their heads in the air while ignoring some of the best
chances to get a better grip on the sagging toy industry?

Not to be brash, but I would *really* like to see Lego take a
better look at some of the more interesting options to
increase their chances at success, such as your suggestion,
a printable sticker kit, and of course, the release of accessory sets
that you don't have to travel to legoland, or one of those
ever rare lego outlet stores to get. Some rather simple concepts
such as more customizable sets such as the Legend series, a revised
town line, and of course, a wide array of trains kits on the
store shelves might actually add a gleam of hope to the rather
dismal stance Lego operates on right now.

Is it sometimes to most obvious of options in which the
company seems to ignore? Sometimes I really even think if
Lego reads the .dearlego section of Lugnet.
Hopefully, they'll read your rather interesting idea, and put
it to good use, instead of wasting good plastic on so called
"building pens" Sheesh!

<<_Matt Hein_>>
Lugnet No. 1112

Anyway, printable sticker sheets would finally give
many a chance to add their own extra touch to a model,
and I think this concept would really go far if Lego
put it into use, well, that and more accessory kits anyway:)