 Dear LEGO / 3805
Re: Brickshelf instruction scans
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 00:16:04 GMT

However this brings up an interesting dilemma....Brickshelf (now Brickshelf
LLC) was founded to originally display the scans of instructions and
catalogues....the hosting of MOC's and other stuff was secondary.
The compilation of the scans was the idea of Kevin Loch...and he should have
intellectual property rights to the concept...even though the actual
intellectual property rights of the instructions and catalogues belong to
Lego Company.

The reason I say it is interesting dilemma is because Lego, and more
specifically the customer service department within Lego Company refer to
Brickshelf (now Brickshelf LLC) as the primary source of scans for
instructions....which begs the question....what happened to the instruction
information at Lego?

Another comment that could be pointed out that ... maybe the guys who decide
what sets come out should spend more time looking at "old" catalogues (anything
older than 1997, which is the year Lego started to go downhill).  Maybe then
Lego will return to its roots...

Benjamin Medinets

In lugnet.dear-lego, John Gerlach writes:
In lugnet.dear-lego, Aaron Dalan writes:
Dear Lego--

Please authorize Brickshelf LLC to continue to display the old instruction
scans that had been available on that site.  The scans are a vital resource
for the Lego community and are badly missed.  Having scans of old sets
available only enhances the Lego building experience and causes more
interest in your product.  Thanks.

Aaron F. Dalan

Or perhaps LEGO could host the scans on one of their servers, so that
BrickShelf LLC wouldn't use as much bandwidth as before!?

Just a thought...

JohnG, GMLTC