 Dear LEGO / 380
Re: Lego product distribution
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 1999 19:00:25 GMT

Thomas Main wrote in message <3772405F.F1D02B13@appstate.edu>...
This is pure speculation on my part, but I think Lego doesn't do this
because it is too large of a company.  They distribute all their NA
product through a factory in Enfield, CT (as far as I know) and only
want to deal with large customers like Wal*Mart and Toys'R'Us.  What I
think they may need is a company that would handle small-scale
distribution for them.  This company would also be a big buyer and its
job would be to sell to the small, independent toy stores.  What do
ya'll think?  By catering to both the discerning toy buyer as well as
the mass merchants, Lego may even be able to sell town sets other than
"town jr."

that as a small business, they cannot afford the minimum purchase
requirements that Lego places on them (the number I heard was $2,500).  All
would love to carry Lego but cannot afford that kind of inventory
allocation.  Most are single location entities and do not have the kind of
purchasing leverage that a mass retailer or even a chain outlet would have.

Stores which specialize in educational/construction toys often feature Lego
as one of their main lines.

Just my opinion,
-Rob.