 Dear LEGO / 3689
Re: dear lego...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 2002 15:25:51 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Tim Courtney writes:
"Jonathan Wilson" <jonwil@tpgi.com.au> wrote in message
Please take all your marketing department and middle managers and lock
them in a room with nothing but jack stone sets to play with. Mabie then
they will realize how CRAP they are...

Its quite clear from things like the train designer interview and other
things that the desingers can make good sets but that the managers and
such wont let them.
Lego needs to do some accual market research to find out the truth. Jack
stone sucks and thats why it isnt flying off the shelves. Get a clue lego.

I agree with the sentiment, though it could be phrased in nicer words :-)

Really.... I was out shopping today with my friend, and I got her to agree
that Jack Stone is absolute crap compared to tradtional LEGO, and she isn't
a FOL at all!!

...that's all for now.  I'm not in the mood to make a long JS-trashing post.
I'd come across too harsh.

-Tim

I am sadly dissapointed with JS as well, not necessarily due to
juniorization (which seems to be the active trend over the last couple of
years). My nephew received one for a Christmas present. I thought he would
do alright with it since it was geared toward his age group. The parts and
assembly went well, he didn't have a problem with that. He had to enlist my
help because he couldn't figure out the instructions. They didn't follow
LEGO's usual format and were VERY unclear. We would have had about the same
success rate by using the picture on the front of the box. My suggestion is
to fire whoever came up with that format and re-hire your previous technical
illustrators.

-Duane