 Dear LEGO / 3685
3684  |  3686
Subject:
You have to love the product
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 08:16:44 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Dear TLG,

I'll keep this short and sweet.  It's abundantly clear from the cluttered,
busy graphics and poor set design of the new Alpha Team sets and MANY other
themes that a significant percentage of the people in your organization
don't play with the product.  They don't play with it and they don't love
it.  They just do their job.  That might fly in some places, but ask around.
A LOT of business people will tell you emphatically that you need passion to
make a business work.  I don't see anything like that in the current
offerings, with the exception of a few Star Wars sets.

These pre-fab pieces are the antithesis of your original philosophy.  They
are ruining your product.  Lego was about bricks and plates, NOT one-use
monstrosities that remind one of other construction-oriented toys
(Playmobil).   Lego was about offering sets that inspired unlimited building
possibilities, not flimsy models of juniorized pieces that only inspire
nostalgia for the good ol' days when opening a new set guaranteed hours and
hours of creative play.  If you want to raise your profit margin, raise the
passion in your people for the product they sell.  Tell them to look to the
past if you want the future to be painted in green.  You are not Playmobil.
You are not Best-Lock.  You are LEGO.  Make that mean something again.
Bring back the passion.

Dave (who will always be passionate about his opinion)