 Dear LEGO / 2994
Re: The Refocusing of LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 15:58:39 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.dear-lego, William R. Ward writes:
"Lou Zucaro" <lou@pause.com> wrote:
[lots of great commentary snipped]

I agree wholeheartedly - you have an excellent way of describing
"what's wrong with LEGO."  I doubt very much that "maxifigs" will ever
return, but I think the Technic figures might fill that bill nicely.
Having basic LEGO sets that fit the Technic figure scale might be a
great plan.

Thanks Bill. Hopefully I also got across the point that it's not "too late"
for LEGO, and not just "what's wrong" with the products right now. We may
not like where things have gone in the last few years, but I think anybody
in the business world can see how things would get to this point.

It's sometimes VERY difficult to keep everybody happy - many times, what it
seems like consumers of a particular product or product line want is both
"more" and "better" combined with "cheaper", which as any of us can imagine
is not always necessarily possible.

In this case, I think LEGO was sensing and reacting to the second half of
the multimedia and PC boom. "Consumers don't just want building toys
anymore! They want interactive products!"

It may actually have been a valid reaction at the time it *started*, but
unfortunately, consumers many times don't really know what they want. I
absolutely include myself as part of that statement - I remember when LEGO
first announced that they were coming out with software titles I thought
"Cool! Maybe they'll do this and that and the other and we'll have some cool
LEGO software, too!" Of course, I didn't expect the sets to change as a
result of the process as a whole.

Given a choice (and a crystal ball) I'm sure most of us would rather have
maintained the set integrity / philosophy than had software titles.
Unfortunately, we didn't have a crystal ball back then and neither did LEGO.

They tried new things. In my opinion, and I believe in the opinion of many
others, those things didn't work. Great. Fine. Sorry to hear it. I certainly
don't like the fact that LEGO had such a bad year last year. But guess what,
LEGO? If you return to the way things were before this all started, I think
you'll find a lot of people waiting when you get there.

Lou