 Dear LEGO / 2782
Re: Plastic Composition?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sat, 30 Dec 2000 11:54:44 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Nathan Falslev writes:
I got an 8448 for Christmas and many pieces cracked, I figured it was
simply the size of the model putting too much stress on the plastic.  BTW, I
posted the full story on that in .technic and have got no replys yet:)
Looking at my Life on Mars sets; they've got cracks too.
My older pieces haven't cracked but my brand new ones have, it doesn't
make sense.
I was wondering if maybe The Lego Company had changed something in the
plastic, making them slightly weaker?  Is no one else experienceing this
problem?; I don't think I'm handling them any rougher than I used to.

G'day Nathan,

This sounds like something you may want to ask LEGO Customer
Satisfaction about.  If it's a manufacturing defect, they'll
probably replace the pieces for you.  Hopefully the new ones
won't crack either!

In the Classic Space days, cracked pieces were very common.
Especially the transparent pieces.  Many looked like they
got smashed by a hammer.  The newer pieces seem much more
durable, IMHO.  Largely they are less brittle and more
flexible, taking more stress before they are inclined to
crack.

I don't know if you will get anyone at TLC to admit to
composition changes in their plastics.  First I would
imagine that small changes and substitutes are fairly
common as they continue to tweak their processes within
the cost/quality/time triangle.  But also because I
recently asked a whole ton of technical questions to
TLC about their manufacturing and engineering processes.
I did not receive a single response to any of them.
They said it was all proprietary information and that
they were a privately-held company, so they wouldn't
give answers.

KDJ

LUGNETer #203, Windsor, Ontario, Canada