 Dear LEGO / 2707
Re: LEGO is listening! (was...are you listening?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2000 19:12:03 GMT

On Mon, 13 Nov 2000 15:00:56 GMT, "Richard Schamus"
<legoman34@mindspring.com> wrote:

In lugnet.dear-lego, Mike Timm writes:
On Mon, 6 Nov 2000 22:01:57 GMT, "Ben Gatrelle"
<ben@yellowcastle.spam.com> wrote:

While I do not work for TLC as Ashley does, I wonder if you would be
satisfied if they had an auto reply system setup to automatically send a
message like, "Thank you for contacting LEGO Direct. While we value your
comments and questions we are unable to respond to each email personally. Be
assured we do read each email and want to thank you for contacting us."
whenever any email was sent to legodirect@lego.com ?

It would be pretty easy to implement something like this.  Of course the
question is, "Is a form letter response better than no response at all?"

BEN GATRELLE

I don't work for LEGO either, but until the time that Brad J. showed
up it was impossible to find a publicly acknowledged EMAIL address AT
ALL, let alone get a reply.  So this is already a step in the right
direction.

I have to correct you and others reading this part of the thread. The
*FIRST* person with a Lego repliable email address was the manager of the
Potomac Mills Lego Outlet store. According to what I've heard (first hand
mind you, and when it happened,) Mr. Justice lost a gasket when Buffie (MS.
Shervington) posted to Lugnet in response to questions about the store. This
apparently *forced* Mr. Justice into posting to Lugnet, and thus history is
as we see it.

Thanks for the correction Richard, you have heard of "fuzzy logic"? I
sometimes have "fuzzy memory" :^)

I assume that this was partly to avoid getting sued over
"I sent this idea in then a year later here's this theme that I sent
in on the shelves" type lawsuit.  The other part I suspect is lack of
desire/reconition of the need to interact with us on the 'net.  Well
this is *MY* take on the whole deal.  So would a auto-responder even
BE a good idea?  I sure don't know, that's for LEGO to decide, so far
it hasn't been implemented.

As far as I know, TLC still is a little fuzzy/hesitant about having a
*relationship* with AFOL's. They are an independant company that has kept
it's independance without stocks or market shares, and concievably wants to
stay that way, let alone have to listen to a small percentage of consumers,
(that is TLC opinion of us AFOLs, not ours).

That is pretty much the point I was trying to make, more or less, well
the hesitant part anyways.

Am I happy Mr. Justice has corrispondence with us? Sure am. But Mr. Glennon
is correct in his assessment of the situation; no one is sure who or how TLC
should respond in this forum. It appears to be harder and harder not for
someone who works for TLC not to respond. But then, it's just as hard for
them to respond correctly (and not risk termination), and thus time and
point are lost, and ultimately the post goes unsent.

<snip>

Rich

I am also happy that Mr. Justus and others are corresponding with us,
more would be better than less, but I'll take what I can get in this
case.

Mike
--
All other themes are just spare parts for Castle! :^)