 Dear LEGO / 2472
Re: What if 9V went away? (Was re: LTMA vs NMRA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2000 03:25:03 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:

NOW, let's suppose for the sake of argument that TLC in fact *does* can the 9
volt Train theme.  I am curious as to everybody's reaction.  Would you bail • on
trains altogether?  Would it not affect you at all.

I sincerely hope they don't can 9V for trains. That would suggest either a
decision to abandon any possible compatibility between Mindstorms/Technic and
trains, or suggest that all that Technic electrics people have been investing
in is also about to be totally obsoleted.

I think I would remain active in Lego Trains. Whether or not I stayed with 9V
or converted to the putative new system depends on the details. I convert all
my 12V stuff to 9V, not because (V is better than 12V operationally, (it
isn't, 12V has much cooler accessories, etc.) but because its more practical.

If the new system is way better, I will convert (and sell off a lot of 9V
track which would be good for those not converting). If it stinketh, I will
stay.

I think I'm with Larry on this one, though if the change was frustrating
enough, I could see myself abandoning trains altogether (and then possibly
LEGO all together). While I am definitely very interested in the possibilities
of LEGO trains, I know that the Model Railroading hobby has got where it is by
having consistent standards (that do evolve, but it is possible to use some of
the oldest HO equipment alongside the brand new stuff on the same layout). If
LEGO trains are going to start a "standard of the decade" scheme, it would
really kill it for me.

- Break the motor/wheels connection or better yet modularize the whole
motor/power system so we can insert our own DCC

If this is done right, we don't even need new motors. I think the new 9V
Technic motor and the micromotor could easily be used in most applications,
but what the heck, also give us a slight variation of the current 9V train
motor which has a 2x4 electric plate to make it function just like it does
currently, or you can plug intervening electronics between the two
connections. Of course also give us a metal wheelset with an electric
connection on the top (actually what might be more preferable is to have a
short wire with connector on the end).

Frank