 Dear LEGO / 1930
Re: Lego Direct (was Re: Georgia LEGO Outlet is Cool!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 22:32:45 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.dear-lego, Craig Livingston writes:

I see two sides to this argument. One, Larry and whoever else wants to keep
there arrangement intact, ensuring the greatest satisfaction. The other side,
including myself (even though this time I would not have bought anything),
wants access to this elusive market.

Well, not sure which Mike you're talking about, but I personally wasn't
called.  I personally would like to have gotten some more 6078's.  But I
personally don't mind that someone else got the call before or instead of me.
The only thing I bought from the GA outlet so far were 20 copies of 6038 (and
whether I bought them to sell off on eBay or open up and play with the
minifigs and sell off the other parts is MY business, not that I care what
some whiners might say).

Larry and Mike (among others) propose that the "have-nots" should have
purchased more last time the Outlet had prices so they would have been called.
False thinking since this system always reward the more spend happy
customers - a very elite few.

Well, actually, what I've said is that if you or Bob or Richard or Willie
wanted some of those sets you should have bought them at any time over the
last two years (or more) when they were on sale, then on clearance, then when
they popped up from time to time on S@H special.  I know I've picked up
probably 50 6078's from S@H specials, so if you or anyone else missed the boat
by either choosing not to buy then or not knowing about it, I really don't
care.  Snoozing = loosing.  I missed out this go 'round.  I might catch
something next time.  Heck, I might even get a call and believe me, if I do
and I'm offered sets I WANT at a price I LIKE (which, remember, is far lower
than most of you guys are happy to buy at - I buy a ton when I buy, but I
insist on low prices) I'm gonna buy as much as I want and not worry about
what's "fair" or what Richard or anyone else might want for the "fans".  My
money, my choices.

Every retail outlet I have worked at has always stresed good customer service
and along with that customer satisfaction. I would argue that the way things
worked this time served neither purpose. Customer satisfaction doesnt directly
relate to profit. Profit only relates to Company satisfaction...a very
powerful force in an economic driven society.

The customers who actually bought stuff are happy.  I bet some of the
bellyaching were hearing is from people who would have let the outlet call
them on their dime then say, "nah, I'll pass."

From the managers point of view, he did well since he moved product he might
not of moved if Larry had not bought. He did this with minimal effort on his
part and should be quite pleased. However, he screwed his other customers with
this "insider trading type atmosphere." This destroys customer relationships.
Now, in an ideal Larry, Mike, and Tom (and whoever else joins there
bandwagon), this doesnt matter since they are the only customers. But, if in
the off chance, the Manager gets in 100 or more of some item that even the
deep pocketed individuals don't want or cannot afford (oh, the dread :), then
who is he going to sell them to - The 50 or so other customers that have
bought from him in the past....I think not! Personally, if time in time out, I
was unable to take advantage of any of this guys deals due to being out of the
elite loop, then I would tell him to shove them were the sun dont shine. Get
it. He has pissed off the customers he might need some day. Not smart
business.

This sounds so much like some of you guys (remember, I wasn't called either)
think of this as some high school click you're not welcome in.  The manager
made a BUSINESS decision.  He probably looked at a list of big buyers and
(obviously) made the smart choice.

Also, Larry proposes that someone can get to the top of this list by buying
his way in. Not possible, unless someone was in on the ground floor, since
every subsequent purchase has been of the "insider" type source.

I wonder if anyone has called the outlet and said, "hey, here's my number.
I'm willing to buy large quantities of stuff - so call me next time too."
Saying is easier than doing, but it couldn't hurt.  Now if you fail to back it
up when/if it happens...