 Dear LEGO / 1721
Re: LEGO: The Movie?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 19:03:16 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Jonathan Wilson writes:

Farlie A wrote:

With the current trend for doing animations of Lego(R) bricks.

How long will it be before Lego Media decides to relase a feature film or TV
series?

It of course could be stop frame but this is time consuming and I suspect • that
CGI would be used instead.

Agreed. It would be foolish not to use it, esp. if they turned these things
out at a pace of roughly a new one a week for 26 weeks.

What I would not want from any movie produced is a BLATANT product placment.
(e.g Transformers, He-Man,MASK, etc)

Well, to be technical, it be would be too late for that if everyone knew that
it was an official Lego show.. But I know what you meant :)

Personally, I'd love to see a Lego space series where the Insectoids are the
bad guys!

"Johnny Thunder vs. The Insectoids", with periodic appearances by (not sure
which side they're on) The UFO people. The wacky professor minifig could be
like James Bond's Q character.. It also wouldn't hafta be blatant violence as
per the "Fair (nice) Play" policy. It could have more of an
espionage/intelligence angle to it where Johnny mostly uses his brains (not
necessarily his lasers) to defeat/sabotage the Insectoids. Though to have
appeal, I'm sure lasers would hafta be used sometimes, just not on people,
y'know. They could introduce not only new sets this way, but enter into other
sci-fi related areas such as mecha and cyborg technology, and display stuff
that they have no intention of releasing as official sets (though if they were
done right, the fan mail might get them to change their minds :)

But a series attempt at a good series using lego(R) Charecters.

What about lego making a lego cartoon, with animated minifigs driving animated
lego cars etc?

There were rumors of a weekly cartoon floating around RTL last year (or was it
the year before?), but the show never happened (obviously). Same rumors said
it was supposed to be Johnny Thunder/Adventurer-based stories. Maybe it was
too expensive back then.

Also, there might be what's called "conflict of interest" in running a show
that, in the eyes of many parents, will obviously amount to a [half hour] long
commercial for TLC. (BTW, Toy Story doesn't have this problem because it
features different products from different companies throughout the toy
industry. Also, the two main characters were previous "unknowns" that were
licensed to be made by several different toy companies.)

-Tom McD.
when replying, Elvis used to fry banana and spamcake sandwiches.