 Dear LEGO / 1702
Re: an update -- and an apology
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 23:18:20 GMT

Mike Poindexter wrote:

John Neal <johnneal@uswest.net> wrote in message

Christopher Tracey wrote:

John Neal wrote:
WAMALUG

NOVALTC

NOVALTC is gone, WAMALUG rose from it's ashes.

So BAYLUG *and* NOVALTC are chopped liver...;-)

-John

With us[1] discussing the possibilities of running 8 wide trains, one would
think we would hear a different tune from you, John "I can't build better,
so I build bigger" Neal.

I resemble that comment;-)  Actually, I was just trolling around the Bay area,
but apparently with no luck.  I'm glad at least *someone* finally rose to take
the bait;-)

When I said I was going 8 wide, I asked if you were then going to go 10 wide
and you said "No."  Now you are building 14 wide.  Where does it end?  When
will you just admit that you have an infatuation with the size of your
train?

Uh, I'm not going there, but as far as the 14 wide thing goes, here is my
explanation.  At first I thought it would be a novelty-- you know, a big box
car with our logo on it to display at train shows.  I would outfit it with G
scale trucks and have it sit on a section of G scale track.  It wouldn't sit on
the layout, but on the center table.  Then I thought "heck, I could make a few
of these cars and have some G scaler run them on his layout during the show".
So I built another box car and a caboose, with a few others on the drawing
table.  And then I realized that at that width, I could *still* use LEGO trucks
and track and call it *narrow gauge*-- sort of like On3, only I would be Ln42
(L)EGO gauge (n)arrow gauge 42 (42", the scale gauge of the track)  It works
out almost perfectly using Belville children as adults in terms of scale.

So there is a method to my madness{:^D

Mike

[1]  BayLTC and BayLUG are different, but we have a mutual defense treaty.

Now *that's* good humor;-)

-John