 Dear LEGO / 1671
Re: an update -- and an apology
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 17:02:04 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Gary R. Istok writes:

Kevin Loch wrote:

How about having a checkbox by each part in lugnet.cad.ldraw.parts.ref for
voting?

KL

<snip>

Before we set up voting, there are a few philosophical questions that may need
to be answered:

Besides that I think we might want to wait and hear more of what Brad has to
say.  He said he should get back to us in a couple of weeks to let use know
more about how we help to decide which 12 or so special parts get to be ordered
first.  There may be a list that we have to choose from anyway of say 200
potential parts.  If that is the case then setting up the voting on all 2000+
parts in the LDRAW directory might be waisted effort.

If everyone gets one vote, and if 90% of the people are NOT train folks, I
would assume that the train people are going to get out-voted.

If voting were done by say - how many parts do you want of a particular piece,
then you may get a better indication of good utilization of the first dozen
(non-standard) parts we want, but then the smaller collectors will not get as
much of a say in the parts.

I mean you might get 20 people that each want 1,000 train windows (for a total
of 20,000 pieces).  But then you might have 80 people that all want large
technic wheels, but they each only want 20 (for a total of 1,600 technic
wheels).

So which group do we please with the first "special" order?  Do we say what
piece do you want the most of?  Or do we say everyone has one vote, no matter
how few pieces you want?

I believe that all of Gary's points are valid but I just want to add that if we
have 12 parts that we have to decide on then I think there should be some
variety spread among those 12 parts.  They should not all be Train related and
they should not all be Windows.  I think we should spread the wealth so to
speak.  The train folk should get some stuff and the town folk should get some
say.  The castle folk might want arches or arched windows and they should have
some say too.   That way you give as many people a piece of the pie as
possible.

No matter what we do not everyone will get everything they want but we should
see if we can make as many people happy as we can under the limits Brad gives
us.

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/