 Dear LEGO / 1399
1398  |  1400
Subject:
Proposed New Train Components
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 17:38:18 GMT

Although most people in the train genre of Lego complain, including myself,
about lack of support and a need for better service packs, we have been
lucky in the number and kind of train packs already.  I would like to see
more, however.

I wholeheartedly agree that DCC would be awesome!  If TLC doesn't want to do
it, allow some other company to make them.  A non-magnetic coupler would be
nice as well, as it would allow for remote decoupling when combined with
DCC.

I also would like to see sets of wheels with electrical pick-ups so that we
can electrify the train cars.  Basically, they would be just like the
current wheel sets, except that they would have metal wheels like on the
motors.  The tops would be an electrical plate that would supply power from
the track.

The current track radius is 13.5" on the curve.  I would like to see the
addition of a 16" radius curve and an 18.5" radius curve.  This would help
greatly in layouts, especially larger scale trains (8 studs wide).

Another great help would be a pack of off size track pieces.  You could have
a pack with two tracks 3 stud segments long, three 2 studs long and one 4
studs long.  That would help match up track in many more complex layout
combinations.

Finally, fix the points to allow right to left track passes and add the
option for remote controlled points.  At the least, cut down on the
difficulty of switching point positions so that they may be motorized much
more easily.

Many of the track needs can be seen in what is available to standard model
railroading enthusiasts.  Just go into a model train shop and get some
pieces for ideas.  Just remember that some of these pieces may not sell a
tremendous amount, but their existence will sell more of other pieces.
Having a 2nd and a 3rd curve radius will allow extra track loops, which will
sell more straight track as well.

Thanks,
Mike Poindexter

Bay Area Lego Train Club