 Database / Set Inventories / 675
Re: Inventory Helper app
Newsgroups:
lugnet.db.inv
Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 17:02:33 GMT

I see a nifty program that looks like the "select piece" part of MLCad
(perhaps Ldraw too, never tried that one).

When you select the piece you want it get's added to a list in the
main window where the user can specify number of pcs. and color.

Then there is a "make parts list" function where one can save the list
in a number of formats and a similar function for opening these up.

The program should be ported to a number of platforms including
Linux/UNIX, Windoze and Mac.

Now if I only had the knowledge to write such an app and not just
seeing it in my head...

The problem would be new parts, but it's solved for Ldraw so why not
for such a program I dream about? It should be easy to add new pices
since a .gif or .jpg photo of the piece would do just fine until the
piece is available for Ldraw (you only need a 2D photo/pic to
recognize a piece). Then the user of the program downloads the new
parts database from lugnet or where ever.

When a Ldraw .dat is availible for the piece that previous had a photo
the photo get's replaced with the .dat image. Or perhaps there should
be two ways of viewing these images? Either by photo/ldraw .dat image
or only photos?

This way AFOLs around the globe could make their own parts lists by
selecting the right piece watching a photo of it and then specify the
number of pcs. and color.

Perhaps this program only can write files in two formats, separated
with a ; or in peeron.com's HTML format?

Or why not merge this into Ldraw/MLCad as an addon?

I hope this will lead to sumfin' great :)

/Tobbe