 Database / Set Inventories / 309
RE: Set inventory list?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.db.inv
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 07:16:32 GMT

I don't know if anyone else is doing some-thing similar, but I'm working on
creating a database program which will include set inventories,
instructions, and catalogues, and will also [hopefully] have a way of
showing part-colour combinations that have not been released. With luck, it
will also be able to read .dat files, and compare parts needed for a model
with what is in a collection, so you know whether you should have enough
parts to build the model.

At present, I'm entering data into the database, and I hope to get a test
version ready soon. [Within a month]

Benjamin Whytcross

BWhytcro@PacificAccess.com.au

I've been wondering if there is any long-term plan for LUGNET
to post a list
of set inventories once submitted inventories have been checked and
rechecked?  This way somebody looking for such an inventory
wouldn't have to
search through the posts and check the submissions for consistency.

I'm not asking anybody to do work I'm unwilling to do.  I'm
currently working
on inventories of sets that I own -- on paper :( -- and will
be posting them
once I have checked and transcribed them.  I would also like
to help go
through previously submitted inventories and check for errors and
inconsistencies.  This would obviously be more helpful if there were a
repository for such work.

There are clearly some issues that would have to be worked
out, such as using
consistent part names/numbers (see brictionary ng) and who
gets to decide when
an inventory is complete and/or correct.  This is merely a
suggestion/offer to
get the ball rolling (if it should even get rolling).  Please
let me know what
you think.

John Gramley