 Database / Set Inventories / 1328
Re: Part 3941 vs Part 6143 (Brick 2 x 2 Round)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.db.inv
Date:
Sat, 2 Mar 2002 22:14:12 GMT

In lugnet.general, Maggie Cambron writes:
In lugnet.general, Ray Sanders writes:
While surfing the peeron database, I noticed that, in 7104 Desert Skiff,
'Brick 2 x 2 Round' is listed as p/n 3941, but noted with 'Number on piece is
6143'. Out of curiosity I pulled a desert skiff and looked at the piece.
Indeed, the piece is marked as 6143. So I pulled a few other sets at random,
the same piece from '6568 - Drag Race Rally' has no p/n molded under the
bottom. The mold series number typeface is slightly larger. A piece from • '7310
- Mono Jet' also has the '6143' under the bottom. After careful examination,
the only difference between the pieces (apart from the mold number) is the
finish on the underside edge. The (apparently) newer parts have a matte
finish, while the part from 6568 has a smooth finish.

Does anyone actually have a 'Brick 2 x 2 Round' with 3941 molded on it ? If
so, are there other differences between that and 6143 ?

I took a look, and while I can't even find the same numbers you're talking
about on most of those elements, I finally found an older yellow 3941 and • newer
blue 6143-- and I notice there are two distinct versions of these bricks.  I
scanned a white one of each so you can take a look at the difference (which is
seems to make no difference AFAICT on holding power).

The white 2x2 brick on the left is from 1352 Explosion Studio and so is pretty
new.  The white 2x2 brick on the right is from a batch of older LEGO I got • from
a garage sale (the batch seemed roughly pre-1990).  Notice how the inner part
of the bottom edges are straight on the older one but curved on the newer one.
Curiously though, the grey 2x2 plate I have scanned in the middle is also • from
1352, but it has the older type bottom.

Also, while my sorted 2x2 round bricks from new sets are all of the curved
bottom type, my collection of older used ones is a mixture of both types.  And
I notice that BrickLink only uses PN 3941.

Also, it seems slightly curious that 3941 and 6143 bear some similarities if
two of the digits were flipped vertical (although that explanation is • probably
stretching it a bit).

I didn't find the part numbers on most of the bricks I looked at (which is why
I scanned the white ones-- I hadn't found the blue and yellow ones at the
time).

Maggie C.

This was discussed in some detail a while back in lugnet.cad
http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/org/ldraw/?n=1639 and replies

Chris