Subject:
New style of part file
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 16:15:51 GMT

I've posted three new files on the Parts Tracker, they are at:

<http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/6143.dat>
<http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/6218.dat>
<http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/30065.dat>

These files are all 'shortcuts' - they don't have any code, except a
reference to another part file.  The reason I submitted these files is
because these three parts are all available with two different part
numbers; one number appears on opaque parts, the other number appears on
transparent parts.  By making the numbers avialable, it should make it
easier for people to locate these parts when they are create virtual
models.

(It also captures these data points, for those people interested in
parts-db issues.)

In each file, I included commentary describing the situation.

For part pairs 6218/6259 and 30065/3960, there is no difference between
the part designs for the opaque and transparent versions, AFAIK.

In the case of 6143/3941, there is a slight-but-noticeable variation
between the two related parts.  So the 6143 shortcut file could
eventually be replace by an actual part, modelling the variation.

For the part names, I didn't take any special care to differentiate the
paired parts from each other; as it happens, these are all 'round'
parts, and their names could be changing in the near future anyway. :)

The only natural way I can think to differentiate the pairs is to append
'Opaque' or 'Transparent' to each part description.  I wasn't too sure
about this, so I left it out (for now).

Does this look alright to everyone?  Does this approach seem like the
right way to go?

Thanks to Joshua and Kevin for indirectly kicking my butt on this. :)

Steve

In thread 'Re: Proposal: New Parts Category for round parts', in
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Steve Bliss wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Kevin Salm wrote:

Part 6259 (or should it be 6218 ??) IS NOT A CYLINDER.
http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/search.cgi?q=6259

It's both 6259 and 6218.  TLC has two different types of molds, one for
opaque parts and another for transparent.

I've been meaning to add some shortcut/redirection files to LDraw, to
handle this situation (ie, I'm going to submit a 6218.DAT that
references 6259.DAT).  There are some other parts with the same problem.