 Database / Brictionary / 299
Part names: describe shape, not what models they come in
Newsgroups:
lugnet.db.brictionary
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 22:33:53 GMT

There are a number of parts that are named according to their use in a
particular set.  Trouble is, LEGO would then come out with another set
that uses that part in a totally different way.

Consider "Loudhailer."  That one took me forever to find in the MLCAD
part lists the first time I was looking for it.  To my mind, it's some
sort of space gun, not a loudhailer.  And anyway, to my mind the
proper term would be "megaphone," rather than "loudhailer."

Another one that really bugs me is 2654, the 2x2 round plate with
domed underside which is for some reason named "Boat 2 x 2 Stud."

Fixing existing names, however, is just not feasible without a system
like the one I proposed recently.

But when naming new parts, bear in mind that future sets may use those
parts in totally different ways.  So pick names that are generic and
based on the shape of the part, rather than how it is used.

Comments?

--Bill.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by
little statesmen and philosophers and divines."        - Emerson