 Dacta / 68
Re: New Lego Soft (only in Dacta)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dacta, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 20 Jul 2000 17:03:12 GMT

In lugnet.dacta, Eric Kingsley writes:
I actually got to see them and hold them the day they came into the store at
The Construction Site (Just fortunate I guess).  They are expensive but they
are also very cool.  They are soft and made out of foam/rubber material (hard
to explain).

Foam/rubber is the best description I can think of.  Legoland California has a
bunch that they sometimes have out for kids - and me ;) - to play with.

They do not "Click" together like most LEGO.  They more just rest on top of
each other instead of actually interlinking.

Well, that's not entirely true.  They definitely don't click, becuase they're
made out of a foam rubber.  But they do have the same stud and tube design as
Lego bricks.  So they do interlink and you can do some interesting building
with them.

For example, you could build a small house that a toddler can climb on and in
without it falling apart, but you could never pick it up and move it unless
you put a board under it.  In other words it will be pretty stable when on the
ground, but it has almost no vertical stick-to-it-ive-ness.

Interestingly these are complatible with Primo/Baby products which means they
are compatible with the entire LEGO System.

I didn't know that.  I've only seen them in Duplo Playtown, and they obviously
aren't directly compatible with Duplos.  I'll have to take some Primos with me
next time I go and check on this.

I havn't broken down and purchased any yet but I probably will at some point.

I may break down soon, too.  I expect that these will have a greater appeal to
day care centers and other places like Sunday School classes.  They are a much
better (but more expensive) alternative to those cardbaord bricks.  It is very
easy to make a fort, a castle, or a house with them.  And you can stand on
them and they won't crumple.

John Gramley