 Color / 854
Re: Open letter to the CEO of the LEGO Company / Call for discussion!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2005 17:54:26 GMT

In lugnet.color, Rick Hallman wrote:
From a corporate view, they are not going to change thousands upon thousands
of dollars of material to satisfy a mere 15% (I think it was stated?) that
are AFOLs.

I think the estimate is about 5% of sales are due to AFOL consumption, and far
fewer than 5% of Lego customers are AFOL's, since AFOL's spend a
disproportionate amount on Lego compared to the average consumer.

So, if 100% of all AFOLs stopped buying 2004+ Lego, then yes, I think it would
probably be effective to switch the colors back. After all, 5% of total income
is quite a bit. But I doubt anywhere close to 100% of AFOLs have stopped buying
Lego since the change. If I had to guess, I'd guess about 20%-- mostly in
Europe, since the European community seems to be more adamant on this issue.

But that guess is based on very little. The bulk of AFOL purchases are by
lurkers and non-frequent posters who probably aren't giving their input online.
In my own club, for example, I don't know of anyone who's stopped buying 2004+
stuff, except Todd, who's stated that he'll probably eventually buy them just
for being a space/SW fan. Of the 115 people on the NELUG list? Hm. Maybe 0-10
I'd guess might be boycotting? That'd be closer to 10%.

Anyway, that's like 0.5%-1% of total sales, unless I'm way off. Is that enough
to justify a switch? I dunno. I kinda doubt it. Besides, what assurances are
there that they'll start buying again if Lego switched the colors back? Many
people that are boycotting 2004+ Lego are so outraged at the company that they
may likely continue doing so, complaining about juniorization, studless beam
construction, bionicle-style parts, etc.

DaveE