 Color / 49
Re: A color question that ISN'T about the new grays
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Mon, 10 May 2004 15:58:44 GMT

In lugnet.color, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.color, Dave Schuler wrote:
I recently got a few Samsonite-era LEGO pieces in an Ebay lot and noticed a few
differences between those bricks and the current ones.  Obviously the studlogo
is in a different font, and the underside of the plates is sort of "waffle-y,"
but the biggest difference is that the red seems to be a little more orange than
current red.  Is this an effect of the bricks' age, or was there really a change
to the red color itself since that time?

As a minor note of comparison, I have some red LEGO bricks from about 1974 that
are effectively identical in color to the current red.

My CA dates back to about 1967. It's definitely more orangey than the current
red. I also have red slopes from that time period that I suspect are not CA and
they are distinctly different color, and like you, they are similar to the
current red.

I can't remember if they were always different or if they have diverged. It was
a long time ago!

I could swear this topic came up before, but I can't remember if any particular
answer came out then or not.

Yeah, I recall some stuff about the relative waffleness and durability of the CA
stuff, but I couldn't remember the specifics of any color discussions.

Besides, I wanted to get a quick post into our brand-spankin-new lugnet group
(and a well-conceived group it is, IMO[1])

Thanks for the verification re: red.

Dave!

[1] I must disclaim that I initially typed "well-conceived grope," which I
suggest is a topic for a different forum