 Color / 485
Re: Buckets on the Brain
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.color
Date:
Fri, 16 Jul 2004 10:43:00 GMT

   So first question:

Is this calendar representitive of when the bucket itself was made, or when the bucket was filled/packaged?

If the grid is molded onto the bucket, then there’s a high probability that it’s the date of manufacture of the bucket, not the packaging of the container. That’s more for ISO 9000 and quality issue so they can track any problems. If there’s a sticker with the calendar grid, then it could be the fill rate.

   LEGOSet(4496) This is a newer set, and I would assume has the new light and dark grey and brown colors.

Correct.

Second question(s):

Were all sets that contained old light and dark grey and brown colors either discontinued or repackaged and renumbered at the change over between 2003/2004? If not, which ones carried over unchanged (aside from the new colors replacing the old)?

I highly doubt that they would keep the same set numbers and change over to new gray. I think if it’s got new colors, then it’s a new SKU (Stock Keeping Unit). The SKU would be tied directly to the set number. Makes you wonder what would happen if they run out of one particular item in the mix of parts when producing a tub...you’d have a lot of extra bricks laying around the manufacturing area. Hm...what to do with those? keep watching--someone at Lego had a great idea.... I’ll let you discover it in the future...(hint...4400 tub)

   The green 4107 buckets have a calendar marking of 2002. The yellow 4107 buckets have a calendar marking of 2003.

I’d look carefully at the side, see what the set number is. I find it hard to believe that the same set number would be on three different color buckets. If it was, then the inventory of the parts would be the same.

Scott Lyttle