 Color / 266
Re: Color Change background
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Thu, 20 May 2004 03:31:13 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.lego, Jake McKee wrote:
   ... The desired outcome was to create a color palette that would work effectively for years to come, and that could scale easily and correctly. We didn’t want to end up with the same out-of-control color situation as we did with elements in the late 90s – that was a hard lesson to learn, but we learned it well.

I’m kind of curious (i.e., looking for examples) about what was so wrong with fundamental colors such as classic gray and dark gray these led to the color palette not scaling easily and correctly.

   As one part of the process of defining this new, long-term color palette, we tested the new color palette with children in the US and Germany.

Hmm... What color temperature lighting was used for these tests? Blay of course looks quite different under 6500K fluorescent light (e.g., offices, studios) than it does under 3000K incandescent light (e.g., homes). The warmer the lighting, the bluer blay looks; the cooler the lighting, the more neutral blay looks.

   I won’t get into the details of how we actually tested, as I don’t have those details.

I’d really be curious to know whether the color temperature of the room illuminants were taken into consideration.

I’d also be curious to know whether blay and dark blay were tested next to warm colors such as tan and yellow. Classic gray and dark grey look great with red, tan, and yellow -- and just about every other LEGO color -- even the cool colors. Blay and dark blay, on the other hand, look especially unappealing next to tan and yellow.

Personally, I think the changeover from gray to blay is an aesthetic blunder of inestimable proportions. It won’t stop me from buying the new products this year, however, because I’m a collector, and because I know that I’ll figure out ways to work around the problem in terms of building.

I still think LEGO is still the best toy, even if the Design Lab happens to run by monkeys.

--Todd