 Color / 265
Re: Color Change background
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Wed, 19 May 2004 16:58:00 GMT

In lugnet.color, Kevin Salm wrote:
I can swallow the whole explanation now.  And my only comment is that whoever
formulated and approved the new colors must have a pretty whacked sense of
color and color harmony.  The new Grays are so terrible when used with other
colors it almost makes me cry!

Just stick to building with sand-blue, sand-green, sand-purple, dark-blue, and
black, and you'll be okay.  All other colors are too warm to look good next to
dark-bley, including blue.

John Gerlach has the right idea--it would have made too much sense to
ELIMINATE some of the marginally-used colors.  I think most AFOLS would
gladly give up some colors INSTEAD of losing our core colors.  Perhaps retire
the following colors: Teal, Bright Green, Lime, Medium Blue, Aqua, Medium
Green, and a whole host of Scala and Belville colors like Salmon, Light
Violet, Light Yelow, Dark Pink, and Light Green.  Also, we don't really need
Dark Tan, Sand Purple, or Bright Orange.

I wouldn't be happy with that at all.  I think that they should retain the five
basic B/W shades (light-light-grey can remain mosaic-exclusive), the seven core
colors (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, and brown), and any
pastels/darks/earth-tones that are clearly different from their core
counterparts (light-yellow and light-orange can probably go away without much
impact, but lime, medium-blue, and sand-purple are distinctly different from
their core counterparts).  That covers the following colors:

black, dark-grey, light-grey, light-light-grey, white

red, pink, dark-red, sand-red

orange, dark-orange

yellow

green, lime, dark-green, sand-green

blue, medium-blue, dark-blue, sand-blue

purple, dark-purple, sand-purple

brown, tan

There are a handful of blends that are worth keeping as well, like some shade of
teal/aqua/turquiose, and violet.  Dark-tan is worth keeping around if only for
making Racers track (though I'm sure a lot of Town/Train/Castle builders would
like a wide variety of dark-tan bricks), just so we can have one consistent
color available for Moonway between what's already been made and what will be
made in the future.  Oh yeah, and glow-in-the-dark is a definite keeper, but
I've often wanted more shades of GITD plastic.

Right now, BrickLink has 87 Lego colors catalogged.  THAT IS INSANE.

Many of them are also used interchangably.  I've seen the same shade of green
identified as lime, light-green, or medium-green; the same shade of blue
identified as light-blue or medium-blue; and the same shade of bluish-green
identified as teal, aqua, or turquoise.  It gets even more interesting when you
get into the semi-metallic shades, where I've seen the exact same part listed
under a variety of different colors (#x60 Helmet Ninja Horn is listed as chrome
gold, chrome silver, or metallic gold, and while admittedly there are variations
in shade, none of them are truly silver and all of them have been vac-metallized
or "chromed").  Conversely, the Rahkshi introduced six new color variations that
are often mis-identified as core colors (the heads, back-shells, and feet are
all pearlescent variations of red, black, brown, blue, green, or white).

Now, add to all of that confusion the run of transparent colors (a few of which
have been mis-named [1]) and the various metallic shades (many of which look
very different based on which type of plastic the pieces are made with) and
chrome shades, and it's pretty easy to understand how they got up to a mere 87
colors.  Actually, there are probably closer to 100, if you count all of the
shades that have been missed.

1. What is commonly known as "trans-orange" should actually be called
"trans-neon orange" or "trans-flourescent orange".  Especially since the 2004
Alpha Team sets will be using a non-flourescent trans-orange that was introduced
in the CLIKITS line.  Also, either trans-light blue or trans-medium blue (I'm
really not sure which is which) should be called either "trans-neon blue" or
"trans-flourescent blue" since it also glows under black-light.  Finally, in
addition to the common colors known to System builders, the BIONICLE line has
introduced a trans-neon yellow (Gali's eyes) and trans-neon red (Tahu's eyes)
that are often misidentified as trans-yellow and trans-red.