 Color / 236
Re: Color Change background
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Sun, 16 May 2004 02:01:30 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Jake McKee wrote:

tweaks to the existing colors. The goal in all these changes was completely and totally focused on creating the absolute best set of LEGO colors possible.

Boy they sure botched that,

   As one part of the process of defining this new, long-term color palette, we tested the new color palette with children in the US and Germany. I won’t get into the details of how we actually tested, as I don’t have those details. But suffice to say, the tests came back overwhelmingly positive.

The details are every thing. I could do a study and come up with the fact that consumers perfer cinder blocks to Lego blocks if that is what I wanted to do.

   A planned roll-out plan of these new colors was planned and implemented for all products produced starting January 2004. The thinking was that it was much better to simply make a quick switch to the new colors, assuming (correctly, from what little we’ve heard from non-AFOL sources; incorrectly from what we’ve heard from the AFOLs) that the change would go fairly unnoticed.

Funny I’ve talked to plenty of non fans and children, they noticed and I’ve yet to hear a single positive comment. Even to the uninitiated the color looks “strange”.

Changes are made regularly to the bricks, to make them better in
   some way. Improved clutching power, easier part separation, and many other things I don’t begin to claim to understand are regularly tweaked to help improve the elements. With the LEGO Company’s desire to keep their decades-long reputation for quality, we’re constantly working to improve

To compare this to “tweaking is pathetic.

   Since we still believe in the changes (not the implementation, mind you)

What happens when as many of us belive that this has a negitive impact on sales and growth?

-Ken