 Color / 179
Re: Color Change background
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Fri, 14 May 2004 01:00:40 GMT

   There has been a great deal of assumptions posted about the reasons we made the changes. Everything from trying to copy MEGABloks, to trying to save money on recycling parts. I know it seems hard to believe (unless you really think about the long-term history and attitude of this company), but it really is as simple as trying to create a sustainable and consistent color palette for the future.

If 20-30 years of the same color of grey isn’t consistent, you guys sure do have a different definition of “consistent” than I do.

   Unfortunately, I simply wasn’t able to carry the AFOL message to the Design Lab in time. For that I apologize. I know I’ve let you down, and because of it, a good number of people no longer trust me and/or the company.

And yet I don’t get the impression that this really bothers the Lego company. Do you understand that I haven’t bought a single Lego set since this happened and the likelyhood of me buying one in the future is nil? You’ve lost a customer and you don’t really seem to care.

   Many, especially those in the 1000steine community, have voiced their concerns with my/our efforts to help find a bridge between old and new. Some feel, as was posted on LUGNET, that efforts like the colors bags are “tranquilizers”. That was not at all the intention. Since we still believe in the changes (not the implementation, mind you), and the costs would simply be incredible prohibitive at this point (we lost a bit of money last year...), we’ve tried to do our best to help deliver to you as much as we can to help this transition. Is that trying to “keep you quiet”? Not to me… to me, it’s trying to respond to your needs. Those things include:
  • Admitting that we made a mistake in our implementation
  • Defining in writing, what colors have been locked i.e. defined as “universal”, thus being “untouchable” (will have a full list once it’s ready in a few weeks)

This is the part I really don’t understand. We’re supposed to believe that just because you say it untouchable that it is. If 30 years of brick production in one color doesn’t make a color untouchable I have a hard time beleiving that somebody standing up and just saying “These colors are untouchable” will do it.

  • Agreeing to consult core consumers (AFOLs and child enthusiasts – Club kids) when making future core changes.
  • Working on solutions to provide either old bricks or new bricks to help ease the transition.

If you can provide the old colored bricks to us as bulk packs or whatever, why can’t you just start putting the old colored bricks into new sets and not put the new colored bricks in sets?

Jason Ellis