 Color / 161
Re: Color Change background
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Thu, 13 May 2004 18:09:31 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Jake McKee wrote:
   First off, I apologize for bringing this issue up again, but a promise is a promise. I said I would deliver more background info on the color change, and here it is. snip

   I hope this helps clear things up.

Jake
---
Jake McKee
Community Liaison
LEGO Community Development

Ok Folks, It’s been a long time since I’ve been flamed (quick check to my behind to see if 3rd deg burns have sufficiently healed over... yup), so I guess it’s time to get my fanny fried again.

Jake, thank you for the explaination. I at least (though I can see that there are many others as well) appreciate that you have come forward with this information. It was inciteful and detailed, and to some degree helpful (in that we shouldn’t have to speculate how these things are decided anymore -now we “know”).

Please don’t anyone get me wrong though. I have my own beefs with TLC, and a dramatic shift like what happened with the “greys,” is at best unfortunate. This is not a carte blanc to TLG from me, this is my nod of appreciation to Jake for working as hard as he can for not just TLC, but for us as well (no one could be paid enough money for the ammount of work Jake has done for us).

Given some time to mull over the merits of such an act may or may not have been helpful or healthy for the community. But it’s here. Now. let’s just deal with it and move on. This reminds me of the endless debates about whether mini-figs should have flesh tone color. The answer at that time (officially mind you) was “NO!” But now, here we are in 2004, and at least 3 separate themes with mini-figs are sporting flesh tones.

My point to the former is this. The product will change. It will change in ways we will not like, or expect. Still we build and have fun, and find interesting ways to use what we thought were undesirable parts or colors. It’s the nature of this beast we call being an AFOL.

Have Fun! C-ya!

Rich