 Color / 1266
Re: Viking Fortress Colour Oddity
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 2006 15:00:21 GMT

In lugnet.color, Richie Dulin wrote:
First time I've noticed a mix of old and new in a set

The first ones I noticed were in Knight's Kingdom sets (8875), with a mix of
greys. All of the 1x8 bricks were in old grey, while the remainder of the pieces
was new grey. Since then I've noted the discrepancy in a few sets, although I
don't recall offhand which. I believe one was a Ferrari set of some type, hm.

I was disappointed, however, after Jake's reassurance that the colors would be
mixed only 'where it made sense', or something. I had expected from Jake's
statement (and perhaps they initially intended it to be the case) that old
colors would be mixed in where they weren't in stark contrast to the new colors.
Hence, in your example, that perhaps the *entire* treasure chest would be molded
in old brown, while the *rest* of the set was in new brown. Or perhaps a
minifigure's body parts might be in old grey, but the rest of the set would be
in new grey.

But alas, it seems that they've wantonly mixed colors in here and there--
perhaps because they had an excess stock of pre-molded pieces in old colors that
they needed to get rid of, rather than an excess of old-colored ABS pellets? I
dunno.

Anyway, it's certainly been a deterrant in sorting my brick. Makes it much
harder to sort when you have to scrutinize each piece's color in a new set and
discern whether it's a new color or not.

DaveE