 Color / 1000
Re: bricks & plates forever!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2005 06:24:12 GMT

In lugnet.color, Burkhard Schloemer wrote:
In lugnet.color, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke wrote:
less than 40 people supported the letter at Lugnet

Only 40? And all the others either didn't care, eagerly collect blays already,
or recoiled because the letter was not nice enough?

Well Ben, it was all our own (as in German AFOLs) fault, you know? We forgot to
hand out little flags and stickers with SYSTEM-grey bricks on it, we had no
banners, no confetti, no patriotic speech and no marching band playing Sousa!
So I guess we had it coming ... ;)

Burkhard,

I think that there is major difference in the building styles between German and
USA AFOLs.  In Germany you have 11,000 Castles, thousands of historic churches,
hundreds of medieval cities, lots of medieval gates, walls and other historic
buildings.  And with the exeption of the North/Baltic Sea coasts (where red
brick buildings/castles predominated), most of these buildings are made of
stone.  And what major Lego brick color are medieval stone buildings made from?
Gray!

In the United States, most buildings are 20th century, with some 19th century
and a few 18th century buildings.  We have no history of great medieval stone
buildings, so most USA AFOLs build the buildings of America.  Most are NOT Gray.
Most stone buildings in the USA would be built in Lego of white bricks.

Gray was always an easy color for European AFOLs to obtain from spare parts
packs, which have always been easily available there.  Most toy stores in Europe
have (or had) an extensive spare parts selection.  In the USA, I have only ever
seen ONE store that had an great assortment of Lego spare parts packs. (This was
before the Lego stores were introduced).  All USA spare parts have always been
mainly a Lego Shop at Home item.  So gray spare parts were never as EASILY
available to USA AFOLs over the last 20 years like they were to European AFOLs.
Now, of course, we have Bricklink and still the Shop At Home service.

I believe that most USA Lego folks who were upset over the color switch were
likely space or castle builders.  (I know others are as well)

So do you see why USA AFOLs (in general) are not as upset as the German AFOLs?

It is not that Americans don't give a damn, they do.  But as a whole, USA AFOLs
are not as affected by the change as are Space, Castle and German AFOLs.

I think it is that simple.

Gary Istok