IOM: A Breach of Protocol
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 13:25:25 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hi everyone. :-) I've started catching up with my IOM mist storyline. This
little scene starts the tale of my second party's journey to the Isle of Mist.

I probably won't illustrate my stories until the party reaches the Isle, as
I can't really build a set for the Drakyn's home as I picture it with my
current supplies.

---------------------------Story-----------------------------------------

10/30/01

The Drakyn’s leader, commonly called the Drake, was rarely able to enjoy a
morning as calm as this one. He was relaxing at his desk, reading a worn
copy of a favorite book of his youth. A muted knock at the door to his
private study, interrupted this all too brief reverie.

“Please, come in.” He called, rather regretfully.  ‘Here we go.’ He thought,
expecting the usual petty argument between minor kyth leaders. He was
surprised, but not relieved, to see Kere, leader of the Ebony Kyth, instead.
Kere entered, and stood before the Drake’s desk.

“Good morning.” Kere muttered, shifting his position slightly, and not
meeting the Drake’s eyes. “How are you, sir?”

The Drake was surprised by the chitchat. Kere, was usually very direct.
“Quite well,” He replied. “Can I help you with something?” It felt silly, to
be exchanging empty words with him.

“I need you to call a meeting of the kyths.” Kere replied, regaining his
typical straightforwardness. “Raynelle has sent Amanda and me important news
that requires immediate response. She writes of the Isle of Mist.” Kere
paused, and asked hesitatingly. “You are aware of the legend?”

“I remember it well.” The Drake agreed. “Most of the investigation happened
when I was a young man. I’m surprised, you know of it. Few in the current
generation are aware of that period.”

“I did some research.” Kere explained. “Apparently the project that Belinda
asked Raynelle to help with is related to the isle. It appears that a
summons has gone out, groups from many different lands are about to converge
there. Raynelle has left for the isle.”

“Left for the isle? No ship could sail past the dragon’s teeth, certainly
not at this time of year.” The Drake is puzzled by the news.

“It appears the weather has changed.” Kere replied. “The bay was calm,
according to Raynelle. She travels with Belinda and Lewllyn, they are
determined to explore the isle. Raynelle has sent us a transcript of the
call that was broadcast to the realms, and a copy of the map they are using
to locate the isle. She wants us to send a party after her.”

“She sent this message to you?” The Drake suddenly understood Kere’s
attitude. “That is quite a defiance of protocol.” He paused, and shook his
head, smiling slightly. “Not that I’d expect anything else from Ray. I
suppose that the Ebony Kyth will send a party regardless of the council’s
decision.”

“That is our right, as we received the request before any official decision.
We will, of course, wait to see if anyone else will join our party.” Kere
answered.

“I see.” The Drake sighs slightly, his instincts were all too correct. “I
want to see all of the documents we have on the Isle of Mist. After that,
I’ll send messengers for the others.”

-L