Subject:
A letter home
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Wed, 7 Nov 2001 10:12:54 GMT

Dear Cleo and Father,              Okdober 26

   Greetings from the vrey real Isle of Mist! As Captain Gerald has surely
informed you, we have arrived safely on the island, on the northeast corner
of it to be precise. The spot we landed on has a very inviting coastline,
albeit not fit for ships. The numerous tongues of land shooting out to sea,
combined with the warm, soft sand, make for a great liesurely stroll.
   But of course, that is not the cause of our journey. Immediately upon our
arrival, Cleo, we set on building a semi-permanent residence and taking good
care to map out the near area. Yesterday, the _Sapphire_ was rowed as far as
possible up and down the shore without entering the mist. A few leagues to
the south, the men spotted a small airship floating in the water. They said
it was well-crafted and seemed almost new, or at least newly painted. Before
they could get close enough to investigate, a shot was fired at them. They
assumed it was a warning shot, so they went out to deeper waters and passed
the airship. I have no reason at all to suspect it was native; surely the
whole civilized world is on its way to the Isle! Tomorrow I will walk south
with a few men and see what I can find out about these flying men.
   We've found very few edible animals and fish on the shore, but in the
brush we've managed to find plenty game. The air gets hot and humid sa one
enters the trees, moreso as one heads deeper inland. The swamp may be deadly
and we will approach it with the neccessary caution.
   Lumina says that the air here is fresher than anywhere in Cubbir, nay,
the whole Lion Kingdom for that fact. He is enjoying the proximity of the
big, wide ocean, as a starving man enjoys food. It is doing him much good.
Siffera, too, is at home in the outdoors. At night we see the stars so
clear; it is obvious that the constellations here are different. I cannot
see the Lion, the Knight, the Star or the Shield at all, and the Square
appears only in the south edge of the sky rather than the north! A dozen
days of sailing make more difference than I had thought.
   It has not rained once since we made landfall. I take that as a good omen.

   Your faithful son,
                      Franz.

-----

"Hmph," muttered Cleo. "Your son writes a pile of sentimental rubbish and
disregards the important facts."
   Marck nodded. "Yes, you are correct. He did not mention a word about how
they are getting along with the sailors, if he's made friends among them, or
how the sun looks setting into mist or the scents of the Isle..."
   "You fool," Cleo exclaimed. "I meant he didn't say a word about how much
supplies must be sent, nor how safe this makeshift camp is. He will be
murdered in his sleep and it will be none's fault but his own!"
   Marck fell silent. No use arguing with his wife - she always won. He
couldn't remember if he had ever been in love with her. 'How sad,' he
thought, 'I'd rather be a happy, simple man than a miserable king...' He
couldn't even recall why they had gotten married. 'But at least,' he
pondered, 'Our son will have a happy life. Siffera will be good to him and
to the kingdom.'
   A door closing loudly returned him to reality: Cleo had walked away and
left him alone, clutching his only son's only letter...

-----

That's it for now, it'll be on my webpage later...

-Shiri

p.s. Congrat to Chris for winning CLSotW!