Re: how big is the Isle of Mist?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Sat, 27 Oct 2001 16:45:18 GMT

In lugnet.castle.org.cw, Shiri Dori writes:
In lugnet.castle.org.cw, James Howse writes:
And the isle, (assuming most of the bits under fog are isle) is somewhere
around 550 km across. Which makes it compareable to New Zealand's South
island. (Except South island isn't round, more a diagonal line, tIoM has a
larger area). Or to put it another way, about half the size of Madagascar,
the island off the east coast of Africa.
Hmm, wow, that's quite large, but actually I thought it was bigger! Hmm.
Interesting.

Bigger? If one were to grab baseplates and make tIoM in real life it'd be
over sixteen and a half kilometers across! Even a acre is pretty large,
clocking up 32 metres across. (For the series, a realm is around a kilometre
and a bit)(1)

Even with say, 200 people taking part, that gives each balladeer around 40,000
baseplates each! (an acre totals 16384 baseplates, a very big number).

Assuming tIoM is on an earth sized planet, 550km, would be enough to give
the East-West coast about an 10 minutes difference in sunrise (i.e
approximatly one-sixth of a time zone across).
Well.... do you even know that Castle World is round? Who knows? It may be
flat... in fact I think it would even be fair to assume it is, since it has
no limits. But I am only making a guess - with no more info to base it on
than you have.

Much as a infinte plane flat world would appeal to a sence of aesthetics of
LEGO, it does tend to make the celestial mechanics quite different. A round
earth isn't a new idea, the Greeks, 3000 years ago, even (roughy) calculated
it's diameter. As for running out of room, you could fit 6700 IoM's on
earth, with room to spare.

Further, it's fairly clear that tIoM, in some senses, is a world of it's
own. That one can start out from any world and after 6 days of sailing
"appear" at the edge, and after another day land on the isle suggests
something akin to a large invisible ring RDP or similar. This suggests
multiple globes each one or more "worlds", making the total possible castle
world size practically infinite(just keep adding globes and connecting them
magically). Then you could have worlds with radically different terrain (or
even levels of magic, seasons, chemistries or even physicses).

James (who should put down his calculator now)

(1) No, I'm not going to use Imperial units. even the British have been
sensible enough to give them up. If you're really confused, work out the
conversions yourself.