Re: how big is the Isle of Mist?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 06:16:18 GMT

In lugnet.castle.org.cw, Adrian Drake writes:
How long would it take to walk across one of the segments of the island?  Is
it something that can be done in a day?  Half a day?  20 minutes?

I just got off the phone with Craig Hamilton, and here is how we measured
the map:

1 Realm (segment of the isle) = 32 x 32 Acres (not REAL acres) = 128 x 128
Baseplates = 32 x 32 Studs.

As you can see, we have the size of the island down to the stud.  So now ...
here comes the math.  Based on Ben
Fleskes' post about Minifig Scale (1), 2.85 studs makes a meter, so each
baseplate is approximately 11.23 meters.

Therefore, each Acre is 128 x 11.23 = 1437.19 meters across.
And each Real is 45990.18 meters across.

So ... to bring this all back to Good Ol' American Miles:  Each REALM is
28.58 miles across, or around 731 square miles.

Ok.  Now - to answer the question you asked.  You landed on n0w6 (2).  This
means that from border to border, it's
28.58 miles across, BUT - it's mostly water, and it's very accessible from
any part.  If you were to land in the cove and
go to the edge of the mist, it would be around 2.85 miles, and that can be
done in a little over an hour and a half.  You
must decide how fast your part moves from and how long of a distance they
have to cover.  I suppose I should post a
scale to the Map page :)

Let me know if this is clear.  I can't tell how big the Isle is, because
some of the mist covers the water, but you can do
some math if you want and find that it's not small.

-- Pawel

(1)  http://news.lugnet.com/starwars/?n=2091
(2)  http://web.utk.edu/~pnazarew/cw_isle/map/