 Castle / Ninja / 8
7  |  9
Subject:
Time to get acquainted...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.ninja
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 18:18:06 GMT

Thank Todd...a Ninja theme discussion group... I'll second Chris's
sentiment...woohoo!

Hello...my name is John and I am a Lego Ninja theme fan.
(there I said it, no embarassment or anything)

SUMMARY (Long story short) :

I like the Lego Ninja theme more than most others in the past few years.  I
am focusing my efforts on realizing much of my personal building potential
and some of the unexplored aspects of this theme.  I truly enjoy the
challenge of building structures in this genre.  I also love the aspect of
color that can injected into these creations.  Building principally gray
structures can be incredibly expesive.  I never had enough Gray, but I have
plenty of Red, White, Black, Blue, Beige and Green to realize my building
ambitions.  I look forward to discussing aspects of this theme to all who
will listen...lol

Now, the Long version:

Actually I am a fan of most things Castle.  Unfortunately, my childhood
collection of old yellow+gray castle sets are packed away.  It was the Ninja
theme that rekindled my interest in building as a hobby.  I never had a Dark
Age, but I had a few years of "low consumption" during college and afterwards.

Ever since I saw the Sean Connery "You Only Live Twice" Bond movie (and
later "Shogun") as a young builder, I have always waned to do a Japanese
style Castle.  When Lego released the first generation of Ninja sets a few
years ago, I was excited and paid close to full retail or above (TRU) for
all the sets (something I hadn't done for 5 years- I generally only bought
Lego on sale)  I thought that this theme heralded a new age of creativity
from the Lego company.  I hoped that the Ninja theme would last 3-4 years
and lead to other cultures like China, India, etc.  It was a reasonable
expectation in those days...Adventures had Egypt, Wild West had Indian sets.
Well the theme never expanded, so I decided to do it myself = )

I admit that many of the models are lacking in complexity, but the selection
of specialized parts introduced in this theme allows you to mimic hallmark
aesthetic features that would otherwise be impossible or require huge
volumes of bricks and slopes. The katanas, sloped walls, armor piece, and
espeially the heavy doors are great!  Witness KK's creations that were based
principally on 6093 FNFs, 1200 piece tubs and Dacta roof packs.  My project
owes much of its inventory to half a dozen or more FNFs.  Essentially my
point is that this theme has ALOT of unrealized potential that I intend to
explore.

I look forward to hearing about everyone's projects and especially viewing
their pics...I highly recommend KK Quah's site (recently Cool Lego Site of
The Week) for great construction pics, concepts and informative links.
I'll post a link to my website in another post to show my "fantasy/ficion"
approach to the Lego Ninja theme and my numerous minifig Samurai designs.