 Castle / Ninja / 110
was Re: Lost Empire? now Kurosawa westerns
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.ninja
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2001 16:43:51 GMT

"Marc Nelson Jr." wrote:
Set your VCR...
Incidently, Kurasawa's 7 Samurai is on TCM (Turner Classic Movies) on Monday
from 4:30 - 8:00PM.  It's been a long time since I have seen this movie, but
I am looking forward to it.  This movie was made in the 50's I believe, and
has been remade into numerous westerns and TV shows.

That was the basis for The Magnificent Seven, right? I love that movie, so I'll
have to get somebody to tape 7 Samurai for me. Isn't The Good, the Bad, and the
Ugly based on a Kurasawa movie? What other westerns have come from Kurasawa?

These three are basically the same movie:

title Yojimbo A Fistfull of Dollars Last Man Standing
dir Akira Kurosawa Sergio Leone Walter Hill
star Toshiro Mifune Clint Eastwood Bruce Willis

Yojimbo is an absolute classic, Fistfull is darn good in its own right,
but Last Man Standing really stank.

Seven Samurai was only remade as The Magnificent Seven.  IMNSHO, Yul
Brenner was not fit to cary Takashi Shimura's spear.  Not that
Magnificent Seven is a bad movie, just that it pales next to the
original.  Seven Samurai is worth watching for the whole 203 minutes if
you can ever see the full version.

Chris

Thanks for the tip!

-Marc