 Castle / 914
Re: HELP - Yellow brick castles
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 20:30:11 GMT

Nephilim wrote:

In lugnet.general, Jim Foulds writes:
In lugnet.general, Jan Bolton writes:
HELP!!!

about mid 70's, I can remember when lego castles were made of yellow bricks.
But, my friends tell me that I am nuts!

I REALLY do remember seeing them in stores.

If I am right, please email me a some info on them, thanks

Jan,

  As an answer to your question please check out the following link...

That should be all you need!

I remember looking enviously at the Bill and Mary idea book and
being upset that the yellow castle stuff wasn't available in the US.
I felt so disappointed.  I was so entranced by them.  That bitter
pang is probably still there inside, prompting me to buy modern
castle sets still.  =)

The purpose of those books is, of course, to make you want to buy
more LEGO.  I knew that even then, and felt cruelly tricked to
see the not-available-in-the-US sets.

Pity I went into my dark ages before the they were released in
the US.  The Bill and Mary book had way-cool space models, which
I could for the most part actually make with the pieces I had, though,
so the book brought much pleasure as well as wistful longing.

--

jthompson@esker.com    "Float on a river, forever and ever, Emily"

I've got good news/bad news.

The good news is that the Yellow Castle WAS available in the USA in 1981.  6075
was the USA set number, while 375 was the European set number.  Check the LUGNET
database:

The bad news is that I cornered the market on them in 1984 on clearance at KMART
in 1984 for only $24.99 each (originally $40).  Sorry about that.  (Actually I
only cornered the metro-Detroit market.)

Lucky for me, I came out of my dark ages in 1979, long before most folks did (or
before a few of them were born), and I realized back then that wow, there are a
lot of neat sets from the 1970's and 1980's, so I bought as many neat sets from
that era as I could find.  I won't go into any gut wrenching specific details
because like someone once said (kiddingly) "I hate that story" (and then went on
to say "I wish that was me that did that").

Gary Istok