 Castle / 7941
Re: group request castle.ninja
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 15:27:34 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Frank Filz writes:
Todd Lehman wrote:

In lugnet.admin.general, Chris Barker <chris@superfami.com> writes:
I'm not much interested in most of the discussions in the general castle
newsgroup and would like a place to discuss the Ninja theme. Can y'all
add a group for the Ninja theme?

Is the .castle area ready for subgroups of Castle (not just Ninja but
Forestmen, Royal Knights, Black Falcons, etc.)?  It would be fun to install
the whole kit and kaboodle.

While lugnet.castle.ninja may have some good reasons to exist, I'd hate
to see the others. The traffic volume in .castle just isn't that high. I
think it's best to create sub-theme groups only when there's a clear
need due to overall traffic volume, or as in the case of Ninja, a
sub-theme which has such different concerns and interests that people
interested only in that sub-theme would be less likely to get involved
without a more cozy place to exist.

Ditto-ing Frank, although with slightly different reasons... Ninja is the
only castle subtheme that is taken on it's own by most people... There's
lots of people out there that build Ninja stuff "seperately" and talk about
it the same way.  There are relatively few (any?) people who seperate out
the various 'western/fantasy' castle themes the same way.  I can't think of
anyone off the top of my head, for example, that builds Black Falcon
castles, plays with Black Falcon men, and is utterly uninterested in Black
Knights, Crusaders or (insert non-ninja subtheme).  The other themes mix
(and are mixed) much more readily than Ninja.

Heck, ninja's enough on its own that people will happily debate whether it's
a subtheme or a stand-alone theme... Can't see that happening anytime soon
with Dark Forest. ;)

IMHO .ninja would be good, anything further would be too dilutive.

$0.02
James