 Castle / 7614
7613  |  7615
Subject:
Attila the Hun
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2001 03:20:17 GMT

The miniseries currently showing on USA is another remake of that good old
Roman flick. Like all good Roman flicks, it shamelessly rearranges history
to show us what we expect to see: a incompetent Emperor, a general loyal to
Rome, intelligent women trapped by society and scheming to exercise their
ambition. [1]

The production is a decent cross between Marco Polo and 'Gladiator'. I guess
it's allowed to shamelessly riff off of the Gladiator sound track, because
Gladiator so liberally stole from other soundtracks.  Emperor Valentinian
III is a nice copy of Gladiator's Commodus. Rejoice, because Galadiator
really has reinvigorated the Roman flick!

There are some very nice castle sieges in the middle of part 2. Ladders,
fireballs, the works. Attila has acquired some trebuchets on his march
toward Orleans. Hmm.

The series repeats on USA network this weekend. (There's a second showing of
part 2 tonight as well.)

[1] On Honoria [426?-450? AD], sister of Valentinian III [425-455]: very
little is known about her--which must make the screenwriters happy--but she
did actually send a secret message to Attila in 450, which caused him to
demand half the Empire as dowry.