 Castle / 5743
Re: Odd Auction? Take a look...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 07:40:27 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Tom Reed writes:

**snip!**

IMHO..I think the shields are "bull knight" shields that have a transparent
silvery piece put over them.  Just enought to allow the original print to
show through.  It gives the affect of being painted.
If this guy is misrepresenting his auction, wouldn't ebay be willing to
discipline him?  It seems like what he is doing is fraud.  And I believe he
knows it.

I've had a hand at painting table top miniatures as the need has arisen as
well as the occasional model. While I don't presume to have seen all brands
and styles of paints, I haven't seen a silver paint that would make the helms
relfect as boldly as they are. Silver paint usually doesn't give off that type
of reflection or coloring in my experience (I wish it did!)

Without attempting to read more into it than is there, comparing the
reflection of the flash off the helms and the Armada armor  - it looks more
like the Helms could be chromed like the armor is. Or the Castle Long swords
presently are.

If that's the case, I don't believe it's possible to chrome plastic properly
after the manufacturing process done.. or that's what I have understood in the
past. I'm no expert though.  (anyone?)

The shields almost seem to be the same - looking at the one at the right end -
it has picked up the relfection of the head of the horse beside it and its
painted bridle. Several others have done the same when I look closely. Silver
paint wouldn't do that, but as you said perhaps a silver film, or again
chroming it. There seems to be some color to the shields around the eye area
of the bull head so it could be a silvered film. Or just more relections...
Dunno.

I notice the seller has updated his info:
---
On Aug-14-00 at 08:46:26 PDT, seller added the following information:
For clarification, these polished/ chromed pieces were done by lego!! They are
their original Lego color!! I think they were just promotional. You will be
extremely impressed!!!!
---

Very interesting whether real, fake, or Memorex. *8)

Joel