 Castle / 5716
Re: New theme suggestion - Parthia!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 16:52:09 GMT

It's a simplification, but Parthia is one of those varieties of Persia that I
was refering to.  Persia of Xerxes and Darius, the Parthians, and the Parthian
successors, the Sassanid Persians, would provide for great building
opportunities while being contemporary with the Macedonian/Greeks and Romans.

Great web site - I'll definitely be exploring it as time permits.

Bruce

In lugnet.castle, Erik Olson writes:
Hey,

I found a terrific resource on the web. It helps fill in the blank in my
knowledge: what was in the area between Rome, India, and China? Answer:
parthia.com! Some of what Wayne Sayles calls "the other ancients". Seriously,
this web site has a text from "Partian Stations" describing the trade route, • or
how to ship goods by camel from Zeugma in Turkey (bloody moderns are busy
eradicating all traces of its history as we speak) to India.

I haven't found any pictures of BUILDABLE things, but it's chock full of MAPS,
like this one:

The World According to Eratosthenes
http://www.henry-davis.com/MAPS/AncientWebPages/112A.html

Sorry, no castles after all. The Art and Culture section has pictures such as
1st century busts (male and female), images of horses, lots of people.

See http://parthia.com

Excerpt:
"The warfare between 55 and 20 B.C. had left the two empires with a wholesome
respect for each other; and Augustus left it as a principle of imperial policy
that the west bank of the Euphrates was the proper limit for the Roman Empire
beyond which the power of Rome could not with advantage be extended."