 Castle / 3049
3048  |  3050
Subject:
[CW] Some thoughts ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sat, 4 Mar 2000 00:19:19 GMT

I've been reading some of the posts and thinking about what is going on and
what has happened.  After some brainstorming, I came up with a few
things.  I hope that the reasons for this post will be clear.

1)  Where did the idea for Castle World come from?

Well, after reading Karl's post, http://www.lugnet.com/castle/?n=1298 , the
idea struck me as something fun to put together and help us interact
online in a centralized place.  I got excited about bringing out the lurkers
and all of us feeding of one another and pushing one another (being a pretty
competitive person, this came naturally).  "Of Katherine" was a direct
result of Shiri's post that she wanted to know more about Ewan.  I've always
been very prejudiced for castle because I think that hands down it's the
best theme in Lego.  First of all, we have great minds putting together mind
blowing creations.  Very often it blows my mind when I see a castle creation
- very seldom does it blow my mind when it's non-castle related.  How
prejudiced;)

Secondly, I decided that frankly even with all the pieces in the world, I
will not be able to create everything.  Castle World kind of solves that
problem for me.  If I want my character to have a story set in a village, I
e-mail Dave Eaton, discuss a few things, and it's set.  No need for me to
create a village.

2)  Why even have it ... ?  Why can't we just be content with lugnet.castle?

I think we can, but I think this adds a cool aura around our community.
Very often, I remember thinking that I *think* I saw some creations
somewhere but I'm not sure where.  This saves time and allows browsing.
Personally, CW for myself is a place that I will be able to go to and
submerge myself in strickly castle creation related articles and displays.

I also think that people will create things especially for CW.  They might
have some great ideas, but they simply don't feel like posting to lugnet
(some people don't even KNOW about lugnet ...) just to say that they have
one minifigure.  CW is a place for them to do just that guilt-free;)

3)  What will become of CW?

I see it as being a lot of things for a lot of people.  Personally, for me
it will be a place to browse and interact with other castle fans.  Mostly,
it will
be a place to get new ideas.

4)  What about all the technical stuff?

A necessary part to make it work well ... I am not concerned about it the least.

And all this leads me to:

5)  So what's all this talk about getting together this summer and doing
something castle related on a big scale?

I'm glad I asked;)  I am still pretty hard core about doing something this
summer (or the near future ... good things come to those who wait) with the
castle creations and lugnet members.  Hopefully we can get a church or a
place as such for a saturday, and set up a layout with a lot of creations,
battles, cities, and layouts.  I think setting up something as such would be
tons of fun and we could even hold a display.  This is my ulitimate goal for
the future.  A convention with 20 or so people with a common castle related
goal;)  I think we could do something pretty darned impressive.

-- pn