 Castle / 2444
2443  |  2445
Subject:
[CW] Games in Castle World
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 16:51:42 GMT

Having just said that Castle World is not a game, this is going to sound
very strange.  But the more I think about it, the cooler this idea seems,
so I might just wind up doing it.

I might well do a ballad or two working with several other people, each
with one character involved - wandering adventurers like Erik the Grey
perhaps - who come together for a short period of time on a quest or
something similar.

To make things easier, I'd need to either be able to recreate your
character's minifig or you'd have to send them to me for the duration of
the ballad.  You'd also give up a certain amount of your 'plot control' in
that you wouldn't know what was going on until your character did, and I'd
be 'in control' of all the situations - but I would stick within rigidly
defined lines that we set up beforehand.  (Be default, I wouldn't make any
permanent changes to the character.  They might be wounded but they
wouldn't lose a limb or be killed - unless you said it was OK.)

Each week (or so) I would put up a series of pictures showing what's going
on, and everybody involved would write me a letter saying what they want
their character to do.  After figuring out what happens over the course of
the week, I'd set up the stuff, photograph everything, and put up the new
results.

As an example: Let's say that Shiri's Scar has left the Lion Kingdom for a
bit and decided to lay low - the soldiers are hunting for the serial
killer that's been thinning their ranks.  She hooks up with a
scruffy-looking band of adventurers who are going to explore a deserted
ruin in search of a magical artifact.

Shiri would go to my website and look at what's going on.  She and her
companions have just discovered a staircase down into the dungeon and are
heading down.  Looking at the pictures, Shiri notices something unusual on
the wall, so she mails me that she's going to investigate it.  I ail her
back telling her what she finds - it looks like the torch sconce is loose
and it could be moved.  She decides to try it, and a secret door opens!
Unfortunately, there's a group of zombies behind it...everybody tells me
what sort of tactics their character is using.

Next week, I've got pictures of the fight up on the site, and everybody
decides to check out the secret passage.  And things go on...

(I know there are a couple of other gamers on this group, so this concept
should seem familiar to them.  It's basically a systemless Play-by-Email
game with turns sent out as LEGO buildings & pictures...)

So, if I did do this (a couple of months down the road) would people be
interested in participating?