 Castle / 21729
Re: Baseplate standard
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 13 Oct 2008 19:42:02 GMT

In lugnet.castle, James Howse wrote:
   In lugnet.castle, Manfred Moolhuysen wrote:
   In lugnet.castle, James Howse wrote:
   I rememeber seeing on brickshelf somewhere that someone had done some scenery in 32x32plates,build up some, tan roads, standardised cliff heights and so on. I can’t find it though. Does it ring a bell for anyone? Can anyone point me to a link to the gallery?
I think it is: http://www.copernicanstudios.com/landscaping/
The various landscape elements are explained on the “next” page. On classic-castle.com is a Q&A about recent devellopments:
http://www.classic-castle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13991 There is a neat overview of all Castle related/applicapable standards in this Lugnet posting:
http://news.lugnet.com/castle/?n=21547 With friendly greetings, M. Moolhuysen.

Excellent! Thanks. I wonder if this stuf would be useful for building club train layouts too. James

The idea of the Base8 layout has merit.. although I can see where there would be some breakdown. (8 studs to road..8 studs road, then 16 studs to end.. wouldn’t match if you lined it up with a 16 studs to road, 8 studs road, then 8 studs to end).

NGLTC has recently come up with the “City Block” layout. The concept is that a City Block is 3x3 green or 2x2 gray XL baseplates, with roads surrounding it. Building can be done to the edge of the layout, with some limited overhang over the road plates. The 6 to 8 studs on either side of the road plates are then used as sidewalks/walking areas. As we do have monorail, we base the monorail standard on the basis of a monorail curve on a 32x32 stud baseplate, with the monorail ends touching the baseplate. As it turns out, the monorail sits well with the road plates, so laying a monorail through the center of a town is very easy to work, as it sits on the road plates. Only real trick is creating a support when a curve goes over an intersection.

The other drawback is that two city blocks + 1 road plate + 2 edge baseplates (for track) = 9 baseplates.. and our club tables fit 4x4 baseplates--which we found a solution for. (but this idea works great for those with 30x60 tables!)

You would be suprised how nice the layout looks with less roads. We got a lot of compliments the first time we tried it. Makes layout very easy, as a member is responsible for an entire city block--very plug-and-play.

Scott