 Castle / 21411
Re: Stoneguard Hold
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2006 03:50:56 GMT

In lugnet.castle, John Langrish wrote:
   In lugnet.castle, Anthony Sava wrote:
   I’m not really a fan of the curved walls, but it’s nothing you’ve done. I’m just not a fan of the 1x2 and 1x1 round brick combination, it looks too swiss to me (as in cheese).

I somewhat agree, but I’m yet to find a technique that lets you do round portions of that size while keeping them “solid” looking. It’s also very parts intensive - On 4 of the towers, easy layer uses 10 1x2’s and 10 1x1 rounds.

1x2 plates and 1x1 round plates would give you a more solid look, but at greater cost and weight.

   I despise the backside of the roof on the keep. I really don’t like those huge overhanging corners over that curved wall, and really detracts from the rest of the castle. I would have liked to have seen some sort of effort using plates or angled slopes to mimic the curve of the wall.

That roof was probably the most difficult portion of the castle - I’m not quite imagining what you have in mind, but I’d be interested in a more detailed explanation.

   Aside from that, though, superb job. I like the way you built the conical roofs over the towers. Have you tried adding some of the new 1x1 slopes in black to cover the exposed studs?

Actually there are some 1x1 slopes on the tower roofs - The peak of each features 3. I wanted to add them to more of the studs, but I didn’t have enough at the time. I did buy a Batman set which contained enough slopes as I used, but I couldn’t afford any more at the time, and there was only a couple days left until the Con!

Perhaps something like Kevin Blocksidge’s onion dome could be adapted to make a rounded roof. But really, those are nits. It’s a fantastic castle. This shot in particular is just great - so much going on!

Marc Nelson Jr.

Marc’s Creations