 Castle / 20196
20195  |  20197
Subject:
Announcing “Seven Swords of Glendur” @ BrickFest 2004
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.castle
Date:
Sun, 1 Aug 2004 21:35:09 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I hereby challenge players to an adventure game, "Seven Swords of Glendur ".

"Seven Swords of Glendur " is an adventure game set in modern times where the
player is visiting a castle that is open to the public in a controlled setting
like Leeds Castle or Windsor Castle.  As a "Tourist" you will be given a
brochure with a map and information about the castle's history. As you move
through the castle you must collect information that outlines a story of a time
long ago. There are movement rules.  When you are outside you roll dice to see
how many tiles you can move each turn. Land on red tiles to collect clue cards.
As the game progresses, you find that there is a legend about seven Knights from
seven Kingdoms who came together in Glendur. With their seven swords they united
the Welsh under one rule. There are stories of a table and a secret chamber that
it leads to.
Can you solve the mysteries of the Seven Swords of Glendur?

The game is played on and in a 4 foot x 4 foot castle that opens up to give
access to the rooms within.  There are also support models for rooms and places
that are not directly accessible in the castle model.
As with other adventure games, one must go from place to place finding clues to
help locate the swords. There are people to contend with like the cook in the
kitchen or the old fisherman by the bay. There will be guards in some rooms to
prevent you from taking things so one must come up with a way to bypass the
guard’s eye. As a player one must solve problems like the fact that the
storeroom light is burned out. There may be more then one way to solve a
problem; different players may come up with different solutions.
I came up with different ways to play the game that would take different amounts
of time.
1. The longest way to play would have each player trying to find all seven
swords, getting points for things they find and keeping track of where they are
using a worksheet. Playing this way each player can play to their own time
table, as this scenario does not depend on any other player’s success or
failure.
2. Another way to play would be to have the players try to find the swords and
place them correctly. In this game once all seven swords were in place, no
matter which player placed the final sword,  the game would be over. The winner
would be determined by the point totals on the work sheets. In this setup people
can play the game with a friend in a team mode of play.
3. A third and shortest way to play would be to work as a group to try to solve
the game. In this case the group wins when the final sword is in place.

I think the game can be played to completion in 4 to 6 hours. Playing the game
as described in 2 or 3 above we could set times for the players to meet, for say
one hour time blocks. Perhaps this way we could schedule around other activities
at BrickFest 2004.

Here is a link to some photos of Glendur Castle:
http://www.our-trips.com/out/7swords.html.

Please post a message on your thoughts. Also If you would be interested in
trying the game let me know. I would like to come up with 6 or 7 players for a
fun game.

BrickFest 2004 here I come. See you there.

Edward Kohl